Saturday 7 April 2018

Magazine Review Page Deconstructions


When planning to create a magazine review page, it is essential to look at example and deconstruct what they have done in order to discover what it takes to create a successful product. Here are some examples of reviews that I have deconstructed.



This magazine review page is in the format of a double page spread which is a common convention and it has a combination of images and text. The images and text are spread equally, each taking up an A4 page. A few smaller images have been used down the side bar of the review page. The colour scheme that has been used is black, red and yellow. This does not have any relevance to the genre of the film, however it is the house style of the magazine. The main header on this page is "Screen" which is in the top left of the review. This allows people to flick through the magazine quickly and be able to see what the page is about just by reading the clear header. The font is large and bolds it is immediately eye-catching to readers. The header relates to the section of the magazine which is about new and upcoming films, thus this could be a new selling point if the review is done correctly. The most important header is the one featuring the name of the film as it is informing the readers what they are about to be looking at. The header has it's own kicker but it is thinner and in a smaller font as it is considered less important. The body of text is written in three main columns that contain a mix of bold and normal text to highlight which parts are more significant. The main image on this magazine review page is a screenshot from the film. It does not appear to have any effects or filters added onto it. I think this screenshot was chosen in particular because it shows some of the main actor featuring in the film. Using the main actors is useful because it immediately gains a following for the film if the actors are well known or popular among particular crowds. The size of the image has a huge impact on the review and I think it takes up such a large amount of room to emphasise how important the scene is to the film. The logo of the magazine does not feature on this review page but there is an information bar across the top of the double page. The review focuses on a combination of aspects on the film which automatically appeals to a wider audience as there is more likely to be something for everyone.



This double page spread has used one picture for the entire backdrop. The colour scheme of the background is dark which allows the white writing to stand out and contrast in colour, particularly the title. I would like my colour scheme to make the writing stand out effectively as I think this works well with this example and engages the target audience. I like the way that the use of images is kept fairly minimal. The main image is what I am immediately drawn to but the smaller images are also effective as they have snapshots of what happens in the film, alongside being in a white film strip. The filmstrip stands out because it is on a dark background so the colours contrast nicely and the filmstrip has connotations of movies so this automatically tells the reader what the article about. I like the idea of using a mixture of images but I need to evaluate if my images can link to the same theme and genre effectively. Another idea I like from this double page spread is the darker colour scheme. I plan to use colours that connote the thriller genre like black, red and yellow as this will also link to my first ancillary task. The problem of this being that all my photos were taken in good lighting, but I can solve this through postproduction work and darkening the images. Linking to this I could put my actors under a spotlight thus the lighter image works surrounded by a darker outline. I think I will be separating the images from the text so the writing will not be in white as that will not be seen however, black or red would work effectively to connote the correct genre. This article in particular is talking about the inspiration behind the film and how the storyline was developed, which gives the audience a good starting point and summary. In my own article I plan to write about the basic overview of the plot so that my target audience have an idea about what is going on but not reveal too much information. I'd also like to have an interview in there with the cast members if I can fit that in with the space left.
Related imageThis magazine review page features many common codes and conventions within it. For example there is a small paragraph between the two images which gives the reader an idea of what happens in the film without revealing too much information. There are many clues that connote the film is making a statement about female empowerment on this review page. The way that the main image is of a lead role (not common for a protagonist to be female- men are often considered 'heroes' in the film industry) holding multiple weapons. Guns and armour connote violence which implies that the film is going to be action-filled and containing danger. Women are stereotyped to be at home looking after their husbands and children so this photo of a woman holding a gun is a statement in itself. The use of a smaller image containing only women is another link to female power. The group of women all have weapons and look as though they are in a fighting stance- again not stereotypical of women. The smaller outfits including cropped tops would usually create provocative suggestions in aim to fit the male gaze, however here they look dominant and powerful. The year of which the film was released is a clear feature on the page. Usually a film magazine review page would have the title across the page in a large, bold font however this review subverts that convention. My favourite part about the text is that a dropped caps has been used as I feel that this is an effective technique to engage the target audience. I plan to use this in my magazine review page. I also think that the columns of text are very neat and aesthetically pleasing so this is another technique I'd like to use in my own review page.

2 comments:

  1. Well done with this Kaitlyn,theres some superb informed work here. You write fluently and with a clear understanding of the conceptual framework. Excellent research to inform own decisions.
    Looking back at your film, a few questions:
    1)Is there any way you can increase the size of what we actually see? I can't get it to open full screen.
    2) The transition edits are,as we discussed, quite jerky leading to sudden, disconnected cuts.
    3) Credits?
    I realise that time is short and you are certainly better to focus on completing the rest to maximise marks in R&P & the evaluation. Your strengths lie in your academic analysis..well done with the achievement of the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked back on the film and also cannot get it to open full screen but it is strange because it is full screen on Final Cut- I'm not sure how to resolve this problem. Whilst I am creating my evaluation I will try to return to my film for further transition editing and to add in credits. I will be prioritising the research and planning/evaluation like you say but I shall attempt the film changes if I get the chance. Thank you for the useful feedback :)

      Delete

Evaluation Question 4