Thursday 5 April 2018

Ancillary Tasks Photoshoot Part 3

This shot shows the actress squinting to see something which immediately deducts from the real focus of the shot. However some people would say that this image was still useful because it would lead the audience to be intrigued as to what she was looking at. I disregarded this shot because I wasn't convinced that it would look effective in the production of my ancillary tasks.
In this shot the actress' eyes are much wider than in the previous shot. This is effective because in the thriller genre, characters are typically on edge and more alert because of the action taking place. I prefer the darker colours of the bricks in this backdrop as opposed to the orange ones in previous shots. These bricks are red and this has connotations of danger and violence. Despite this, I disregarded the shot because I wanted the actress to have direct eye contact with the camera to engage the audience.
I think this shot is good because there are lots of useful places to position edited pieces like text and/or other images. For instance, unlike the other shots, the trees at the top do not cover the entirety of the backdrop so a main header would fit well in-between them. The edges of the brick wall also have gaps where the actress is stood in the middle, leaving room for subheadings and images etc. This off guard shot has potential for further film advertisement, however for my main ancillary tasks I would like my actors to be looking directly at the camera as opposed to shots like this where she is looking down towards the ground. I disregarded this image.
I really liked the way that this photograph came out because I thought it looked professional. Despite the fact that the actress is not gazing directly at the camera I think it is an effective image because the subject focus is clear. I like the blur of the trees in the backdrop as it means they are not the main focus of the photograph but they add depth and texture to the image. The gaze into the distance portrays a sense of foreshadowing to the audience. Unfortunately I did not see how this photograph could work well with the thriller genre or codes and conventions therefore I did not use it for my ancillary tasks, however I do think it would be effective if my film was of another genre or had another message.
This shot is effective because there is a lot of emphasis on the fact that the actress is holding/hiding something in her pockets. I gave her a large prop to use to hold in her hand inside her pocket to imply that she could potentially be holding a weapon of some kind- to fit in with the thriller genre of the short film. The smile on her face is not the expression I was looking to use on my ancillary tasks so I disregarded this shot.
This side angle was to experiment with the body language being portrayed in each image. Having her turn her head from the other direction was effective as it created a more closed form of body language in order to fit with the genre as generally characters are more secretive in thrillers. The lighting on her face highlights the focus on the actor in the shot too. I like the backdrop of the bar she's sat in front of. Metal bars are often associated with prison cells which automatically implies there is trouble or danger to come. I disregarded this shot upon finding another, more effective image for my ancillary tasks.
This image is clever because of the way it has captured the actress as the central focus of the photograph but her focus is on something else. It is more effective in portraying a stereotype of the youth because she is glued to her phone which is common in this day and age. I disregarded this shot because, despite it being a good representation of youth, I did not think it was the most engaging shot for my target audience.
I like this shot because there is further use of the bars as the textural background which I believe to be fitting for this genre. It looks as though she is not looking directly into the camera but past it. This could be implying that she cannot see the camera or has chosen to ignore its presence. I think that the way one hand is obviously stuffed inside a pocket is effective because it is hinting towards her hiding something. I disregarded the shot because it looked as though she was smirking and this made it less effective for my particular target audience.
This shot is interesting because you can see the actress' reflection and it is the reflection that is looking directly into the lens of the camera. This look as though it is a two frame shot which I think is effective because of the thriller genre. Although the reflection is seen, it is not as clear as I had aimed to capture so I disregarded this shot. The reason behind this part of the shoot was to show two sides to the personality in one person.
This is similar to the previous shot but the thought process behind this shot was to edit the reflection so that it also had a direct gaze with the camera. As the shot cuts off some of each side of the picture, I did not think the edit would be as effective. For this reason I disregarded the photograph and decided to choose others for use in my ancillary tasks.
The idea behind this shot was to experiment with natural lighting and to emphasise the difference between a good and bad side within somebody. The way that the light shines down half of her face is effective as this is where it would be edited darker to show the significance to this genre. I didn't like how there was also shadow on the right hand side of the photograph as this deducted from the point of the shot itself. I disregarded this photograph.
This was another lighting experiment, similar to the shot above, however this time I wanted to capture a more off guard shot. This resulted in the shadow of the lighting moving and I did not like the effect this created so I also disregarded this shot.


These shots are fairly similar because of the location in which they have been shot. The main difference is that one has a direct gaze with the camera and the other one doesn't, automatically making one more engaging. I disregarded these shots because I didn't think the background enhanced the photos as well as the other backdrops, nor was it relevant to the short film. I like the angle from which the shots were taken as I think they frame the actress nicely and could be used for other advertising work for the short film.

This shot is effective because she is looking directly into the lens of the camera and maintaining a gaze with the audience. The expression on her face is serious so an audience would be unable to read how she is feeling, making it more intriguing as to what the film is about and further encouraging them to find out. I like the way that she is in focus but the background o the cars isn't; this means that all of the photo engagement is with the actress in the photo as opposed to anything else. This shot would be useful for a film poster however I have decided to use another actor to advertise my film poster as it is more fitting with the plot of my film.
I like this side profile shot of the actress because of the way she has been captured in the moment. Her facial expression looks as though she could be in deep thought or plotting something so this bodes well with the plot of my short film. The way she is sat with her legs crossed and fiddling with her scarf portrays a child-like quality and connotes some innocence in her character.For my ancillary tasks I decided I preferred the idea of the actors looking directly into the lens of the camera so I disregarded the shot, however I do like the outcome of this photograph.
I like the way that the actress is looking up towards the camera as this makes the target audience feel more empowered looking at the magazine. The direct gaze at the camera is effective because this creates an immediate connection with the audience. The black and white square she is sat on creates an interesting texture for the rest of the photograph, as opposed to being in front of something plain. Her mise en scene is typical of her character which effectively presents this generation to the target audience. I chose this shot to use for my second ancillary task as I thought it worked well with the ideas I had in mind for my design.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evaluation Question 4