Thursday 5 April 2018

Ancillary Tasks Photoshoot Part 1

For my ancillary tasks I decided that I would use the same location for my photoshoot because I wanted there to be continuity between my film poster and the magazine review page.

For the first part of the photoshoot I wanted to use the car as the location. This is because of the feedback from my research and planning questionnaire in which the most popular movie poster was taken in a car. Cars connote action taking place and the development of a story line. As the car is used in the short film, I decided to use it within my ancillary tasks to create continuation.

This is the first photo I took and it was a candid shot to see how it would look off guard. I disregarded this shot because I didn't like how it turned out.
This second photo was taken from a more central angle which is more empowering for the character. I think this angle is good because it makes the character the most important part of the photo. However he is not looking directly at the camera in this shot so I am disregarding it as I don't think that it would make an effective movie poster.
This shot is similar to the previous one but he is looking upwards and grinning. It was taken from the more central angle once again which I think is most effective for use on a film poster. I dislike the facial expression he is displaying for use on my ancillary tasks therefore I disregarded this shot.


This shot is effective because the actor is making direct eye contact with the camera from a central angle. I like that his hand is on the wheel as though he is either driving or about to set off somewhere; it hints at action taking place within the short film. The fact that you cannot see his mouth makes the shot more effective as it is harder to read his facial expression. From the look in his eyes it looks as though he could be smirking, which gives the actor a more mischievous look. This is effective as people usually stereotype teenagers to be up to no good so it links to the public perception of teenagers too. After analysing the rest of the photos I have decided that I want to use this for the main image on my film poster.
This shot was to experiment from another angle. Having taken some photos from a central angle, in front of the actor, I wanted to see what shots from the side of the car would look like. I like the lighting in this shot, however I prefer seeing the entirety of the actors face. I think having a more central shot is more effective for a film poster so for this reason I disregarded this shot.

The lighting is much brighter in this shot which I do not like because the whole photograph looks like it has a white colour layer over it. Looking away from the camera is less welcoming for an audience therefore I think that if I used this photograph my target audience would not engage in my product. This photo could be used for another product but not as a main image, it could be added on as a smaller image on a magazine review page or another product altogether.
In this shot I decided to move the camera angle and begin to experiment with the different types of lighting. I like the reflection on the car of the trees as I think it brings more depth to the photo. In this shot the actor has his hand in front of his face. He was trying to change his gestures in the photos to make the shots more interesting. I didn't like this particular shot because the actor cannot be seen very well and I wanted his facial expression to be in shot but his hand is in the way.
This was another experimental shot with lighting. I like the way that the tree reflects over the windscreen however it does mean that the actor cannot be seen as clearly as I would have liked. Trees are often a symbol of a life so this image could have deeper connotations of life overpowering this character in particular. The outside of the car has brighter lighting than the inside which could also represent how the character is happy on the outside, but is filled with darkness inside. I thought this shot was clever but I disregarded it as I didn't think it would be effective as a film poster or magazine review page main image.
This is another photo where I had taken a few steps away from the car to see what effect it would give the photograph but I did not like the image that was then taken. The lighting is too bright and there is a slight blur on the photo. The actor is also squinting in this shot therefore I could not use it for my main image in the ancillary tasks. I disregarded this shot.

I like the lighting in this shot and the way that the actor has been framed next to the car. The way he is stood in the middle with the slight blur of the trees in the background means that the focus of the shot is on him, which is ideal for the target audience. It is effective to have an actor as the focus of the shot if they are well known and likely to attract an audience through this. As my short film genre is thriller, I do not think that the actor's expression is fitting and therefore I shall not be using it for either of my ancillary tasks. I am looking for a more dead pan shot to show a more serious side to the characters the actors are taking the role of.

I like this shot because it is simple and the actor is the main focus of the image. She is looking away which connotes she is unaware that the camera is there and that it is a candid shot or that she is looking at something else. This implies that there is something else that she is focusing on, perhaps more important, that does not feature in the shot. The lighting is slightly too dark for what I want from this shot.
This is similar to the previous shot of this actress except she has direct eye contact with the camera, creating a welcoming gaze for the target audience. The slight grin in her facial expression implies she is thinking about being mischievous or up to no good, following the stereotype of teenagers at her age. Another action that connotes this is the hands in her pocket, indicating that she may have something to hide. The fact that she is leaning on the car is also significant because it follows the stereotype that teenagers are careless of other people's property. Looking through my shots I have found others I preferred to use for this actress, so I disregarded this one.
This shot is effective because it is framing the actor. His body language is closed which is not welcoming to the audience, however it does reflect the character's personality. He has direct eye contact with the camera but his hands and the rest of his body are turned away, suggesting that potentially he does not want to be seen. I like this shot however I think it would have been better if he had a different facial expression, so I disregarded it n terms of using it for my ancillary tasks.
I like this shot because I think it portrays a lot of character without the actors having to do anything in particular. The actors in this shot look diverse from other teenagers which makes them stand out and become recognisable to a target audience. I plan to include this shot in my ancillary tasks because I think it is effective in terms of what I would like to portray to the audience.
This shot was to experiment with the lighting and textured background. Taking a candid photograph did not work out as effectively as I planned with this particular shot because the sun was in his eyes and therefore the result of this was that he was squinting. I like the fact that he has his hands in his pockets because this is more closed body language or it could also be considered as suspicious, which is fitting for my short film genre. I disregarded this shot because it was not the facial expression I was hoping for.
I tried a similar photo to the previous one here but moved angles to capture more of a side profile. I like the way this revealed more of his shadow because shadows could connote another, darker side to somebody. The look on his face looks as though he is concentrating or in deep thought which is effective for this particular genre; it is common that people have to consider their each and every move carefully in these films. I disregarded this shot because it wasn't quite what I was looking for but it does have potential for if I were to create another form of advertisement for the film itself.
For the next shot I brought in another one of the actors because I liked the lighting and the textural backdrop. Their facial expressions are effective because they are fairly deadpan and do not reveal what they are thinking. The body language between the two of them is open as one body is facing the other which portrays the chemistry they have as friends. Having a male and female shot openly appeals to a wider range in the target audience. I also like the effect created by the door I left ajar behind them, which implies that there is more to be seen but it is yet to be discovered by the audience- in order to immediately create curiosity and get them to watch the film.
After taking the previous one of these two actors I decided to change angle completely and have them sat on the floor while I take the photograph from the front, central angle. I decided to do a shot where one of the was looking at the camera to catch the direct gaze from the audience, whilst the other was more candid and looking away. There is a different shadow on this photograph which was created by the low angle shot. This creates a nice effect where half of the shot is in the light and half is in the dark, which has deeper connotations of the two halves of their personalities. After looking through the other photos taken I did decide to disregard this one however.
In this shot I was capturing both of the actors looking away to create a more candid photo to see the effect this would create for the audience. They are both slightly smirking which I like because it gives them a more mischievous appearance, fitting with the perception of youth from an older audience. The mise en scene is also very effective for the look I wanted the characters to have. For my ancillary tasks I decided to use different images of the actors, however I think this shot would be useful for something like a magazine front cover advertising the film (used as a smaller image to go down the side). I disregarded this image for my ancillary tasks.
This two shot frames the actors well because they are positioned so the focus is purely on them. The way they are sat shows that they have closed body language and this is less welcoming to the audience. The lighting is half bright and half in the shadows which links in well to the thriller genre, showing two sides to every person. Unfortunately, because of the lighting in their eyes, the actors are squinting towards the camera which is not an effective facial expression. Although they are not revealing their emotions, squinting looks unprofessional so I disregarded this shot.
I like the lighting in this shot because it highlights the presence of the actress in this shot. The shadows can be seen in the background but the lighting shines down onto her. The use of natural lighting is effective and commonly used in thrillers. Unfortunately, due to the slight pickup of wind, there is hair across her face and we cannot see her whole face. Some would say this is effective as it connotes some of her personality is hidden, but I believe the shot would be better if her whole face was on show and she was gaging direct eye contact with the camera. For this reason I disregarded this image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evaluation Question 4